Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Your Dreams Are Caught. . . !

House cleaned,  clothes washed, dishes made - all set for my parents arrival .  
"What's that feathery thing on the wall ? ", asked Amma as soon as she entered. 
I was shocked for a while. 


" Maa, we are meeting after two months and you are asking me about this silly thing.? ", complained me.
"Oh.. leave it dear, I just asked " ,she kissed on my forehead and went inside to place her luggage. 

I recalled my last  birthday for a moment. Since, it was on that special occasion I received the dreamcatcher as a present from my friend. 
Not everyone are aware of what a dreamcatcher is nor its purpose . So let me share with you all I have read and known about a dream catcher.

Dreamcatcher -


Have you ever wondered what it means?  
Ofcourse, when you hear it for the first time, you can relate  with -  "catches  our dreams". 
Why do we call them so? Do they really catch our dreams?

History has shown us that  dream catchers are believed to have originated from Ojibwa Chippewa tribe. The Ojibwa people found spiders to be a symbol of protection . They believed that a spider symbolizes patience due to its  technique of setting webs. According to them, a spider woman (Asibikaashi) protected their babies, kids and children . As the tribe grew larger, it was impossible for Asibikaashi to protect and take care of her pupil. Therefore, she created the first dreamcatcher to protect them . It was then recreated by grandmother's and mothers to protect their children from bad dreams and nightmares .The traditional dream catchers are made up of small wooden hoop covered in a net. Beads and feathers are attached and they hangs down from the bottom of the hoop, normally collected from nature.

The dream catchers are hung above the bed and as the person sleep's, it catches all sorts of dreams and thoughts. The tribes  believed that,  as the good dreams pass through the net, the feathers are gently slided  to comfort the sleeper . The bad dreams and thoughts are caught up in the net and are burned in sunlight . 


Now a days, modern dream catchers are made up of plastic and artificial feathers. We purchase them mainly for the look and positivity they bring to our lives. But , a fraction of population still believe in the traditional meaning and concept of dream catcher's .  

Do you believe that a dream catcher can catch dreams..? 
Would you like to buy a dream catcher ? 
Do you prefer to make one by yourselves..?

12 comments:

  1. Nice write up Geethu.. and its a new source of information for me..❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. എഴുത്ത് നന്നായിരിക്കുന്നു ഗീതു... നല്ല flow il വായിച്ചു പോകും..ഇനിയും എഴുതിക്കൊണ്ടിരിക്കുക....

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Geethu happy to see u as a blogger. congratulations n God bless you. Nice write up. Catch your dream, think write and explore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice writing Geethu. Was informative also to read about dream catchers. :)
    Keep up the good work. Stay blessed.

    ReplyDelete

FEAR

                  FEAR You couldn't see me nor you could touch me, Feeling me gives you a funk I wasn't your companion when ...